Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Author Interview: Matthew Turner



1. What inspires you?
The world around me in general. I love to write in coffee shops and have the ambiance of what's around me fuel what I write. I always think about my past, and that's a huge driver for sure, but I let my mind wander and think of whatever it wants to.

It's amazing what sitting in a coffee shop can do. You come across some amazing folk, and although people-watching might be frowned upon, it's a writer's best friend.

2. Do you use an outline or just start writing?
I'm quite a strategic person so I do plot and plan before hand. Looking back, I didn't do this enough for Beyond Parallel. That being said, I try not to be too rigid with this. I think it's important to have a general idea where you're going, but the freedom to change things whenever you like.

It's rare for me to plan particular scenes. I have an idea about what I want to achieve, but I let me imagination at that moment in time do the rest.

3. What is your next project?
It's nameless at this moment in time, but I have already begun my second novel. It's about a young man who finds out he has a terminal illness and embarks on a journey he should have lived years ago.

I've crafted four characters, and I want it to be as much about his friends and those around him, as it is about the main character. I feel it will be a very challenging project, but I can't wait to get immersed in this world. I feel I will learn about my writing and I can't wait to push myself to the next level.

4. Do you write full time or part time?
I work for myself, so I suppose I write full time. I try to do a few other things, too, like consultancy and freelance writing, but much     of my world is surrounded by writing. I don't only write fiction, but non-fiction as well. In fact, I'm well under way with a non-fiction book called The Successful Mistake, which is a superb project; albeit very time intrusive.

If I'm not writing, I'm usually reading or planning for some sort of writing project. You don't realise how much it will take from you until you start. I can't complain though. I love it!

5. What is your favorite book?
It's a toss up between Perks Of Being A Wallflower and The Great Gatsby.

These two books changed me!



http://www.facebook.com/matthewturner.write
http://turndogmillionaire.com/beyond-parallel/
https://twitter.com/turndog_million

Beyond Parallel by Matthew Turner (coming January 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent (most popular) Posts